Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Return of Mortal Kombat and... PDP's Mortal Kombat FightStick

What are you doing reading this? You should be playing the rehashed Mortal Kombat right now, but I'll just assume you're at work and stuck behind a monitor or two and if you're like me, three.

Mortal Kombat released yesterday, April 19th, 2011 for both the PlayStation® 3, and Xbox© 360 and brings with it the fatalities, blood, and gore that the series is known for. The game takes place throughout different periods of the Mortal Kombat series. The story unfolds when you play through the game in Story Mode. It starts off with the camera panning through a field of deceased combatants, finally reaching to Shao Khan and Raiden where Shao Khan is about to finish off Raiden... oh wait...***SPOILER*** then begins reciting some spell, then you hear him say, "He must win"... and boom! You begin back with MK1 you begin playing through the MK storyline with various characters. Very much like in MK vs DC.

If feels like MK vs DC and plays much like MKII and UMK3 (without the run button) coupled with some elements from Tekken and Street Fighter. It features 2v2 mode, ladder mode, challenge mode, and of course online mode. About the only thing I don't like is the way you have to configure your controller/arcade stick. During the game, when you select controller you only get the options for preset 1, 2, 3, or 4. Meaning configuration for preset 1-4 must be done at the main menu options. Another gripe I have is that you do not have all the fatalities at the start of the game. You must unlock everyone's second fatality and their stage fatalities. Playing through story and ladder modes earns you coins you can use to unlock items, content, fatalities, and etc at the Krypt. The good thing about that though is it give the game a higher replay value.

In MK9, added gameplay features includes combo breakers, x-ray moves, and enhanced specials utilizing the new super meter. A full super meter allows you to use the x-ray move dealing massive damage to your opponent. This was implemented as a way for you to comeback and to help balance different skill levels. There are different opinions about this, but that can discussed at various forums and message boards. Two bars filled allows you to use a combo breaker to interrupt your opponents combo. One bar allows you to use an enhanced version of any of your special moves.

There quite a bit more I can talk about, but I want to shift the focus to PDP's FightStick designed exclusively for Mortal Kombat 9 and sold in a Tournament Edition of MK9 but in limited quantities. Now I can really go into detail about the fighstick, but since I have already done some of that in another post regarding modding the stick, I'll just link PDP's video discussing their stick. In Depth with the Mortal Kombat Fight Stick (PDP)

With all that out of the way... lets more on to what you can do with your fightstick, like modding it! Actually. You know what? I'll just link the goodness, yet again. I modified my sticks shortly after picking up my Tournament Edition copy of the game, but not before I got to test it out and use it in a tournament (which I ended up getting 2nd place)
PDP's Mortal Kombat FighStick and Modding

So there you have it. Enjoy the video and modding tutorial (if you would call it that), now go get your fatality on!

-Rotendo

3 comments:

Sugar's Dream and RL said...

I downloaded the demo onto the ps3 the other day! I love the graphics, and the close in damage thing in game. I am sooo wanting the new game! I always used Kitana so I am excited to see what she can do in that game.

Rotendo said...

Much of the character play like they did in MKII and MK/UMK 3. I'm enjoying playing with the whole cast.

She doesn't look sick... said...

Guess I will take some of this time I have to practice and own you in MK! ;)